Here is the reservation and ticketing procedure that you should follow when you need to make a name correction.
There are a number of reasons why you may need to update or change a name. For example, a guest has provided a different name to that shown on their passport, your guest has got married and changed their surname, or the spelling of their name was misunderstood by the booking agent.
1. Title amendments and name corrections due to genuine typing errors (up to three characters) are accepted free of charge
2. All other name corrections on ticketed bookings will incur a fee of US $100 or equivalent.
a. AU $150 for point of sale in Australia.
b. The name correction fee is exempted for bookings from point of sale in India for name spelling correction after the ticket is issued. A fee will apply for all other changes within Etihad Airways name correction policy.
3. The request must be for the same guest on the ticket.
4. Only one change is permitted.
5. An Electronic Miscellaneous Document is issued to collect the name correction fee.
6. A name correction is not permitted on an un-ticketed booking. A new booking in the available booking class must be created with the correct name. If the name correction is made on a un-ticketed booking, it will be identified through the Revenue Integrity Name Change Violation Process, and cancelled.
7. When a name is corrected on a ticketed booking, the Virtual Coupon Record (VCR) or e-ticket must be reissued with the correct name.
8. A name correction on a PNR is executed by Etihad Airways reservation and ticketing staff. Once the name is corrected, the travel agent may reissue the ticket at their end.
9. A date change penalty on fare rules applies if there is a date change.
10. A passport copy and other applicable documents must be submitted for the approval process.
11. Reissued tickets are audited and any fraudulent changes are subject to disciplinary action.
12. If name corrections are made without an Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD), an Agent Debit Memo (ADM) of US $100* or equivalent will be raised against the booking/ticketing office/travel agency that has made the change (*AU $150 for point of sale Australia).
Name corrections on travel agency bookings
The travel agency needs to make a payment in cash or credit card to Etihad Airways. Alternatively, travel agents may issue an EMD (stating the reason as name correction in the endorsement field).
Once the name is corrected by Etihad, the new name synchronises on the travel agency’s reservation system. The travel agent may then reissue the ticket. This applies to itineraries involving Etihad Airways (607) tickets with Etihad-operated and marketed flights.
Name corrections on tickets with OAL segments
Name correction requests are accepted on Virgin Australia (VA) and Air Seychelles (HM), on both prime and codeshare flights marketed by Etihad Airways. Requests shall be accepted only up to 24 hours prior to the flight departure when itineraries involve a VA/HM sector and the correction is made on the same booking.
When a name correction is requested on an EY (607) ticket involving any other airline (OAL):
1. Create a new booking (PNR) with the correct name on available RBDs. Do not attempt to correct names on the original booking when other airline segments are involved.
2. Issue an EMD to collect the name correction fee. Travel agents must approach an EY ticketing office or Contact Centre to issue the EMD.
3. Reissue the original ticket with the correct name on the new PNR with the applicable fare difference (if any). Current fares must be used to reprice.
4. Cancel the old booking (PNR).
Date change penalties apply only if there is a change in the flight itinerary. Global service fees (if applicable) will be collected in addition to the name correction fee if there is a date change and the ticket is being reissued by Etihad Airways. Name corrections/changes on group bookings also require a fee of US $100.
Name correction and associated EMDs
When a name correction is made on a booking where there exists an EMD associated with it, the associated EMD will disassociate from the booking. Name corrections on the associated EMD should be done only by Etihad Airways. Etihad Airways must verify the EMD issued for name correction fees and the VCR reissued for the modified booking issued by Reservation. Once the name is corrected, the EMD should be re-associated to the guest name.
Reasons for name correction
Name corrections are permitted for the reasons below as long as passport copies are provided:
Maiden name to married name (or vice versa)
JOHN/MARY MS TO JACK/MARY MRS
Juxtaposing of surname / first name
MARY/TOM MRS to TOM/MARY MRS
Shortened / nickname to full name
ALSHAMSI/MOHD MR to ALSHAMSI/MOHAMMED MR
Genuine typing errors up to 3 characters
TOM/JIRRY MR TO TOM/JERRY MR
TOM/MARY MR to TOM/MARY MRS
Addition of middle name*
BROWN/JOHN MR to BROWN/JOHN PAUL MR
Addition of surname*
PAUL/JOHN MR to BROWN/JOHN PAUL MR
Complete/partial name change for the same guest with proof from authorities (e.g. Deed Poll)
GEORGE/PAUL MR to DANIEL/JACK MR
*Both surname and middle names should be present in the passport